15 January 2015

Why I Pledged Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

It was the most exciting moment of my college career, being “unmasked” at my probate for Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated.   For those not familiar with the term “probate”--  it refers to a "coming out" ceremony for those who are secretly pledging a sorority or fraternity.  After years of pursuing membership, I could finally say I was a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha!

My Probate Night
My journey on becoming a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated was not easy. It all started in high school.  My aunt was a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated. It was my first introduction to Black Greek life.  Witnessing these women maintain meaningful friendships was amazing. So, when I first arrived at Sam Houston State University, joining a sorority was at the top of my list. The ladies who displayed grace, dignity and kindness were the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. After doing further research, it made total sense to join the group that started it all!

That's me at the top! Getting ready for a Step Show/ Spring 2002

A sorority is different from other organizations because membership is selective. You have to be an ideal candidate with the right combination of good grades, community service and campus involvement.  At 18 years old, I was determined to do everything in my power to be chosen for membership! I successfully balanced my school activities and my 4.0 GPA.  
All of my hard work paid off. After two years of aggressively pursuing the sorority, I was contacted for a secret meeting.  Words could not express the excitement I felt when I received that call.  I was going to be an AKA!  But, it wasn’t that simple.  During the meeting, the members asked my opinion on hazing.   For a moment, I was hesitant.  Could I go through the process, where I could be slapped, degraded and paddled?  My imagination ran wild with visions of violence and torture. 
Thankfully, my process was NOTHING LIKE THAT!
We were "on-line"- pledging for about 4 months. Every night we would all meet for a study session. We would divide our time between school work, learning sorority history and creating chapter songs/greetings. We endured many sleep deprived nights, that challenged us both physically and mentally. At the end, we were all united as one sisterhood-- truly a wonderful experience that still brings a warm feeling to my heart.
Below you can watch my "probate" video from 2002. I'm #11 in the line--AKA Virtuous Ivy.
What are your opinions of Greek Life?



 

 

1 comment: