12 June 2015

Passing for Black?

I've heard of passing for White-- but passing for Black?!? Recently, the parents of Rachel Dolezal claimed she had been deceiving people, passing for a Black Woman.
Ruthanne and Larry Dolezal said they want people to know the truth including that their daughter is White.

 
Rachel Dolezal serves as a NAACP leader in Spokane, Washington and also works as a professor of African American Studies at Eastern University
 
The mother of Rachel Dolezal  said that her daughter "has not explained to us why she is doing what she's doing and being dishonest and deceptive with her identity."
A few years ago-- I wrote a post about "Passing"-  people who were black (or mixed) who passed as white. My amazing friend Tiffany Tilmon allowed me to interview her about her experiences growing up mixed.   It's a complicated issue, but this is the first time I've ever encountered a person who WANTED to pass for Black. Your thoughts?
 
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment